NASA Space Apps Challenge
The International Space Apps Challenge is a hackathon that happens world wide within 48 hours in different countries. Coders, scientists, designers, storytellers, makers, builders, technologists and enthusiasts come together and work on the challenges we face on Earth and even in space! This event focuses on collaborative problem solving with a goal of producing relevant open source solutions to address global needs applicable to both life on Earth and in space. NASA [National Aeronautics and Space Administration] is leading this global collaboration along with a number of government collaborators and over 100 local organizing teams across the globe.
Date: 26th & 27th of September ‘18
Duration: 48 Hours
Location: Sir M. Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology, Bengaluru, Karnataka
HOSTED BY: DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
- Mrs. Rekha B.N (Associate Professor)
- Mrs. Sushila Shindal (Assistant Professor)
|Dr. Suma Swamy||Mr. Ravi Kumar H.R|
|Mrs. Sheela Kathavate||Mrs. Mohammadi Kousar|
|Mr. Srinivas B.C||Mr. Narendra Babu C|
|Mrs. Pallavi R||Ms. Dhivya V|
|Mrs. Sowjaanya Lakshmi||Mrs. Supriya H.S|
|Mrs. Ajina A||Mrs. Sapna R|
|Mr. Revanasiddappa B.Bandi||Mrs. Monika Rani H.G|
|Mr. Elaiyaraja P||Mrs. Savithri R|
|Mrs. Savitha P||Mrs. Nethra|
|Mrs. Mayuri K.P||Mr. Manjunath|
|Mrs. Savithri C||Mr. Venkata Raju|
Number of Volunteers: 35
- To bring forth innovative ideas and solutions to the problem statement provided by Space Apps Team.
- To encourage students to know about hackathon culture and how to solve real time issues.
- To form Space Apps Student Community in order to bridge gap between tier 2 and tier 3 colleges.
- People selected in Pre Qualification will be sent to local level, where they will compete with different zonal level winners.
- Our Ecological Neighborhood
- Ideate and Create
- Warning! Danger Ahead
- The Earth and Us
- Planetary builders
Number of Participants: 86
Number of Teams Registered: 22
The day began with registrations at the CS Seminar hall, which was followed by an invocation. The college welcomed the esteemed chief guests and they lit the lamps. Dr. G.C Bhanuprakash (HOD) gave the welcome speech and introduced the resource people. After the ceremony, the hack started right after the tea break. All the students were enthusiastic and had great ideas in store with them Around 4:00 pm, the first session of the hackathon came to an end.
The teams had to resume with their coding and work in session 2. This event happened in the labs for ease and accessibility to resources. After feasting, the teams had to represt their ideas at the “Pitch and Presentation”. All judges were questioning and were suprised by the ideas put forward by all the teams. The event came to an end with valedictory and closing keynote.
Students were mentored by experts who were well-versed with Android Development, Artificial Intelligence, Block Chain and Machine Learning. They were able to interact with the SUMVN team and got valuable inputs from them and validate students’ ideas.
During the first scrutinization, each team had 3 to 5 minutes of time to pitch their idea and top 16 were selected to move to the next round. The second round of pitching involved top 5 teams being selected and awarded by the jury and awarded.
Members of the Jury:
- Mr. Katapally Sai Kiran (Local Lead of Space Apps Challenge, Hyderabad, founder and CEO at SUMVN)
- Mr. Hamisu Kime (Founder and CEO of Kime Ltd.)
- Mr. Manish Kumar Gutta (Founder and CEO of Outshade Digital Media).
Winners of the Hackathon:
|Rank||Team Name||Challenge Selected||Team Members|
|I Place||Excelsior||Warning! Danger Ahead||Abhijeet Singh,Susmit Agrawal,Vipul Gaurav|
|II Place||DevChangers||Ideate and Create||Tushar Sharma, Arpit Gupta, Pradyumna, Anwar Nadaf, Rishabh Mishra|
|Py Mayhem||Our Ecological Neighborhood||Jaya Chandrika, Swathi Uttarkar, Tharun K, Harsh Jain|
|III place||R2-D2||The Earth and Us||Mukund Banka, Vibhor Sharma, Vishal V, Apoorv Tilakar|
|Green Collars||Warning! Danger Ahead||Sahana B.S, Sandhya G, Anukriti, Kruthi|
- The Event was successful with 86 participants.
- Among 22 teams, 5 top teams were selected for the next round.
- The winners were chosen to compete for NASA Space Apps challenge 2018 in New Delhi.
Feedback and Learning Points:
Dr. V.R Manjunath, Principal
“I am privileged to host zonal level hackathon at SIR MVIT. The event provides an innovative way to solve social and environmental problems. Real time monitoring and interactions with the mentors guided them to understand, analyze and design solutions to the complex challenges. “
Dr. G.C Bhanu Prakash, HOD of CSE
“Our students have got good exposure to real real time scenarios by attending this event. A new dimension of thinking of these students has made them to innovate and explore new ideas.”
“A great opportunity for the students who got a platform to exhibit their innovative ideas and go beyond their regular academia. The overall involvement of student organizers along with the faculty led to the grand success of this event.”
- To create a community to ensure that students learn about technology and build up their ideas to solve real time problems.
- To support the students selected to the next round of Space Apps hackathon by providing relevant mentors and technical experts.
- To support innovations in the community from layman and young students.